Learn how to make this easy, Paleo friendly dish that is perfect for the fall season. Using just a few simple ingredients, this sausage & apple stuffed acorn squash will be your go to meal any night of the week!
Today I’m sharing another one my favorite fall recipes, and that is Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash!
What I love about this meal is that it sources alot of “in season” fruits and vegetables. What that means is you are consuming items that are grown in their peek season, so they are often most fresh at this time and offer us the most nutrients as well.
You often can find in season produce locally so be sure and check with your local farms too!
- 3 Acorn Squash
- 1lb Italian or Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Apple (of any variety)
- 3-4 Stalks of Celery
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Salt & pepper
- Coconut milk (optional)
Preparing This Dish
- Preheat the oven to 375⁰
- Slice each squash in half vertically and remove the seeds from inside *optional – shave a small amount off the back of each squash using a knife so they lay flat on the pan*
- Drizzle melted coconut oil on each squash and sprinkle with cinnamon. Place face up on sheet pan or baking dish
- Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes or until soft
- While the squash is baking add 1 pound of sausage to a preheated pan and cook until browned and well ground
- Now add your chopped celery, apple and pecans to the meat and stir until well combined. Allow to simmer until the celery and apple soften slightly. About 10 minutes
- Once softened, stir in the dried cranberries and remove from heat.
- When ready remove the squash from the oven and using a spoon, carefully pour the sausage/apple filling to each squash halve.
- Place back in the oven and roast on 400⁰ for 5-7 minutes or until desired crispness has occurred
- Optional* Before serving drizzle with honey and coconut cream for an added treat!
DOES THIS MEAL STORE WELL?
Yes! Another great thing about this recipe is you can prepare the filling ahead of time and use it when ready. These sausage & apple stuffed acorn squash are also great to meal prep with for work or school!
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT MEAT?
Even though pork sausage seems to pair best with these ingredients, ground turkey is a close second and works great for those who are looking for a leaner option 🙂
WHAT CAN I SERVE THIS WITH?
Many times I will serve it with a salad or soup such as my Creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup or my delicious Harvest Salad.
WHAT APPLES SHOULD I USE?
That totally depends on your preference and what is available in your area, but some of my favorites are; Gala, Fiji and Honey Crisp.
IS THIS HEALTHY?
Absolutely! Acorn squash is a great source of several different vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, vitamin c, B6 and iron!