Easy Hearty and healthy potato soup. This soup is perfect for the cool weather seasons. Loaded with heatlhy ingredients you can feel good about feeding it to your family.
I am so excited to share this easy and healthy potato soup recipe with ya’ll today!
We have had a great fall and winter in Texas this year. The weather has been really cool and we’ve even had some frost!
Nothing helps me enjoy the cool winter months quite like a cozy home cooked meal. Also, is it just me, or does anyone else check the weather before they menu plan? It creates a nostalgia and I like it.
If its sunny I like roasted meats, or pan fried pork chops. When it’s cool or rainy I love to break out my favorite soup recipe’s, along with my family’s favorite almond flour biscuits.
It seems like there is nothing better than a big pot of soup cooked early in the morning to snack on throughout the day. It saves me time at dinner and it warms us all right up!
Healthy Potato Soup
Today I’m sharing with you all, this super easy and healthy potato soup recipe. This hearty dish can be topped with an array of things, and the recipe makes enough for several meals, especially when it’s paired with a salad, sandwich or main dish of choice.
Now, many recipes call for using flour, but actually if you use less liquid you can thicken it without adding that part in. So if you’re gluten free like us, than this recipe is for you!
First of all, I know potatoes high in starch aren’t necessarily the healthiest thing you can feed your family, however by adding in fresh onion and garlic and using homemade bone broth, this recipe gets a thumbs up in my book. You can also top this soup with fresh avocado for another way to boost that health factor.
I like the heartiness of this soup, yet its gentle enough to make for friends or family that are feeling under the weather.
TIPS FOR MAKING HEALTHY POTATO SOUP
- Leaving the skin on the potatoes is a great way to save cooking time
- Using an immersion blender creates the perfect consistency
- Go ahead and double this recipe for lots of leftovers!
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES SHOULD I USE?
So, I usually use whatever I have on hand, but I think red or russet are my favorite for this recipe. Sometimes Yukon potatoes can soften a little too fast.
CAN THIS RECIPE BE MADE VEGAN?
Yes! To make this recipe vegan friendly, simply swap out the bone broth for some vegetable broth. Stay tuned for recipes on how to make both!
- Cutting board
- Immersion blender or regular blender
- Garlic press
- 10-12 Potatoes, chopped
- 3-4 Onions
- 2-3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 48 Ounces of bone broth (about 6 cups)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Parsley
- Hot Sauce
- Sour cream or cheese (if you aren’t dairy free)
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY POTATO SOUP
- Start by adding all the chopped potatoes, onion and minced garlic to a large pot.
- Add the bone broth, salt and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft. Approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend about half of the potatoes, making sure not to over blend.
- Serve in bowls with your favorite toppings and enjoy!